Tuesday, April 17, 2012

14 week appointment

Hooray for the 2nd trimester!!!!! There were many times over the past several years that I never thought I'd get here!

I had my first visit with the new OB today. I loved her. She is really, really great. (Completely the opposite of that horrible nurse.) She is also (more importantly) very on top of things. Here's the recap:

My next appointment is in 4 weeks, when I will be 18 weeks. That will be my last normal appointment. After that I will have appointments and ultrasounds every 1 - 2 weeks (starting at 20 weeks) through the end of the 2nd trimester. 2 weeks if things are going well, less if they feel like I need to be watched more carefully.

Starting in the 3rd trimester (27/28 weeks) I will have twice weekly appointments / ultrasounds until delivery.

We will be able to fill up a photo album before the child is even born.

Why all the appointments? Well, this is a high risk pregnancy. I've already had one preemie due to pre-term labor, I had pre-eclampsia in my last pregnancy, and I have multiple clotting disorders. What this means is that I'm at a higher risk for things like pre-term labor, pre-eclampsia, fetal growth restriction, problems with the placenta, and low amniotic fluid.

Scary, yes. BUT I will be watched like a hawk. I have also developed a loud mouth since Alice was born. I am not afraid to speak up to doctors and to advocate for myself (or my child) when I feel that something is wrong. I have friends who have had similar medical issues who have done very well, so this CAN be done. We're choosing optimism.

No comments: