Thursday, July 3, 2008

My first smocked dress!

It's much cuter with WG *in* it but those pictures didn't turn out well so I asked Tim to take some pictures of it on the dummy. I'm pleased with how it turned out. It is smocked on the back in the same colors and pattern as the front. For me the smocking was the easy part. I had some problems with construction. I had to adjust quite a bit. I don't know if I cut out the wrong size facing to line the bodice or what, but it's still not completely right. The facing is too tight / small at the sides. Eventually I am going to put a zipper in on the side under the arm. I learned a lot, though, constructing it and the next one will be better and easier. I have fallen in love with smocking. I finished this dress yesterday morning and pleated up my next project last night. I started smocking it today.



Here is a close up of the smocking:



2 comments:

fairychildheirlooms said...

beautiful! It does take a little practice to get things right. the good thing is that if you make a mistake, nobody knows. Looking back at my past projects, I've found plenty of mistakes with the construction. You just do it and learn from those mistakes how to make the next project better. Welcome to the world of smocking!
Good Luck! Lets keep in touch!
Missy

Katy said...

Thanks! I don't mind my mistakes, I like to laugh and learn. I have enjoyed looking at all the projects on your blog!

Katy