Wednesday, July 27, 2011

This morning Alice and I made the trek all the way across town to the fancy store that only sells gluten free things. I discovered that I was out of the flours I use to make up one of my mixes, which is a bad thing since someone's birthday is right around the corner... I also have this cupcake cookbook coming in the mail tomorrow. (Their other cookbook has my go-to pizza crust in it. Yum.) Alice and I shop at this particular store once a month or so because it is a good 25 minute drive from our house. She looks forward to these trips because they have a small in-house bakery where everything is gluten free.

Today as we were leaving, we ran into an organist from a church at which I often play. As he headed into the store and we headed out, Alice and I had the following exchange:

A: "He is SO lucky!"
K: "Why is that?"
A: "Because he gets to eat gluten free. Gluten free is the best, Mom. People who don't eat gluten free are missing out."
K: "So, does that mean you're lucky because you get to eat gluten free?"
A: "Yup. Gluten free is the best."

I'm sure the brownie we bought didn't hurt this sentiment, but it still made me a little bit choked up.

No comments: