Sunday, October 5, 2008

Chicken in a pot

I made this chicken tonight and was blown away. It is really really good. I don't think it could be any more simple. Better and cheaper than picking up a deli roasted chicken. By the way, if you are following a GF diet, be wary of supermarket roasted chickens. Many are rubbed with breadcrumbs. With this cooking method, the skin doesn't brown and get crisp, but that didn't bother me because we always take the skin off the chicken anyhow. I got the recipe from America's Test Kitchen Best International Recipe. They have a pan sauce that goes along with the chicken using the drippings, white wine, chicken broth and butter. I didn't bother because I was making the chicken to get the meat to make other dishes.

Chicken in a Pot

1 Chicken, trimmed, extra "stuff" removed from the cavity
1 Tbs Olive oil
2 shallots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
4 or 5 cloves garlic, peeled and trimmed

Put the oil, shallots and garlic in the bottom of a pan with a lid. Put the chicken on top, cover. Bake at 375 for around 60 minutes until the breast meat registers 160 degrees.

I doubled the recipe and used my giant turkey roasting pan (which has a lid). I had to bake them for 75 minutes.

No comments: